According to the USA Consumer Product Safety Commission, thousands of injuries caused by malfunctioning garage doors every year. During the summer season, the majority of garage door related accidents happened, because it is when the garage door is used continuously like, coming or going of children playing football or riding their bicycles. Visit here https://fayettecountygaragedoorrepair.com/ to get more information about garage door services.
The most common accidents are related to people becoming caught in the broken garage door panels and failed or wrong attempted home repairs. The injuries often include crushed bones, fractures, body parts, amputations. It is reported that almost 20,000 people a year are treated in the emergency rooms of hospitals to treat certain injuries. Major cases can be attributed due to faulty components, malfunctioning opener, and unsupervised kids. In order to keep your family and property safe, the following mentioned are the safety tips.
- Keep the wall-mounted garage door opener out of the range of young children. Don’t allow your kids to play with the remote of the garage door. Like a “toy” if you allowed your kids to play with the garage door once, they will want to play with it again and again, even without the supervision of their parents. Be conscious and don’t develop bad habits.
- Teach your kids about the dangers of garage doors. If they understand that there is a danger associated with the garage door that it is not a toy then they will be less likely to put themselves in danger. If you have installed a sectional garage door, make sure that your kids understand never place their fingers between the sections.
- Make sure that everyone in your home knows how to use an emergency release feature of your garage door in case of any potential accidents. The user’s manual should give you relevant instructions on these features.
- Inspect your garage door once a month. Check the cables, springs, pulleys, rollers, and other important parts to find out any major signs of wear and tear. For safety precautions, don’t try to remove, adjust, or fix any component of the garage door without having the right expertise. An only qualified and trained experts can handle the process. Springs are the most tensed components which can easily snap back causing severe injuries or even death.
- Test all the safety devices of your garage door every month. Put any small but durable object such as a roll of tissue in the way of a garage door so that it will make contact with the object on the floor as it closes. If the safety sensors are in good working conditions, the garage door should stop and automatically reverses to the open position once it touches the object. In case it does not meet both requirements (stop and reverse), then it is definitely the right time to call a professional.
Regular garage door maintenance is a first step to make sure that your home is safe and secure at all the time. If your garage door needs to be repaired, consult a professional garage door repair technician to handle the job for the safety of your family.
Every homeowner should be aware of the danger the garage door can pose to your family. Following mentioned are the summer safety techniques which can keep your family safe and protected and keep your garage door in a good working position.